In fall of 2014 we sold everything, packed up a couple suitcases, and took off to Panama. Now it’s 2018. So almost 4 years of being away from family and loved ones. Expat life has been an adventure to say the least, yet living away from family brings it’s expat struggles!
The time we were in Panama was much easier than out here in UAE. Most of the year we were in the same time zone with everyone. My bestie visited us with her family so that was super special. And during spring break we all metup only a few hours flight away to Colombia! 2016-2018 in UAE has been a rollercoaster of emotions!
The hard parts are
- visiting and having to say good bye all over again.
- Being 9 hours ahead of their time zone
- Family events, like my sisters labor!
- Technology failing, like Skype not being allowed in this country anymore!
- Children missing out on time with cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents
- Not going to lie, all the delicious Latin American food is totally missed too!
- And it’s trickier to support my business people who are in USA
Living in UAE is a blessing.
That is sooo true! Many of the benefits of living and working here make missing family kind of worth it.
For example, we will be able to afford to visit a whole summer! Looking on the bright side, sometimes family can be too intrusive…so it’s sometimes a good balance to be away for so long. You all know we love you though! Don’t go Crazy!
We are all in the same boat out here. And some have it worse so I’m sure to count my blessings. I’ve known one too many families who are living distanced from each other. Fathers leaving families to come work here. Mothers leaving children to work to pay for their children’s college. Some amazing, inspiring, heartbreaking life realities.
So yes, even though I miss my family dearly I do Praise The Most High for keeping my husband, my children, and I together. We are in a safe town, protected, and living without stresses.
Yap no stress of traffic, no rent or mortgage, no electric bills! We live in a very spacious apartment that’s almost way too big for us! We’re surrounded by playgrounds for our children. And so many friends to meetup with almost every day.
So yes, the blessings do outweigh the struggles!
Do you live far from family? Have you dreamed of getting to work abroad??? Let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Jenny Pena (see all)
- How I met your father: incredible 9 year marriage testimony - February 26, 2021
- Sourdough-scapades: starting a sourdough love life aka newbie bread baker - February 19, 2021
- The truth about you, sister, according to THE MOST HIGH! - February 11, 2021