Today’s Conscious Parenting episode:
My name is Barbara (aka Ms. Barby) and my husband and I have two lively children, our son is 13 and our daughter is 16. After earning my Bachelors in Elementary Education and Masters in Reading Education from Florida International University, I taught Kindergarten and First grade in the public and charter school setting for eight years. When my eldest was born in 2003, I decided to be a stay at home mom. In 2009, I founded Natural Beginnings Homeschool, a home-based early childhood program incorporating nature, play, & social emotional development focused on the whole child. After running that program for eight years I felt it was time to move on to a new chapter and begin working with parents on their parenting journey.
Barby and I have known each other for over 8 years now and it is such an honor to host her on The SALT Podcast. You get to hear how we met, Barby’s background and journey in parenting and childhood education. She shifted from educating children to coaching parents on becoming more aware and conscious.
Conscious Parenting Tips to Listen for:
- Why try out conscious/awareness in parenting?
- Barby’s own upbringing and mothering that she had to reflect upon and shift.
- How can we look at their behavior and get curious instead of fixated and reactive?
- Me opening up to Barby about my own seasons of mothering my 3 children and her commentary for me
- The stories we create in our own minds about daily things and how we do the same when we see our children’s behavior
Step 1 – Pause
- Here is the visual Barby walks us through: Dr. Dan Siegel’s Hand Model of the Brain
- How to calm our nervous system
- Feelings vs emotions
- Coaching yourself
- My example of being triggered during school time
- Creating connection and becoming an empty container
- How to “work the muscle” to be more calm
Step 2 – Skills
- Dr. Ross Greene’s Info. of Lagging Skills
- How to teach skills and what they are.
- Examples of skills we can demonstrate and meet where they are developmentally
Step 3 – Limits
- Setting boundaries with our energy
- Dr. Laura Markham setting limits with compassion
- Barby walks me through another scenario with my children
- Conscious Discipline I Love You Rituals
- How do we set them up for success
Links & Resources for Conscious Parenting
- Website: www.barbyjimenez.com
- What Is My Child’s Behavior Telling Me? Guide (Free Download)
- Discount codes for Pink Premium Only
- Moms community for support
- Dr. Shefali Tsabary trained and certified me as a Conscious Parenting Coach Books: The Conscious Parent, The Awakened Family
Need More SALT In Your Life?
You know I love to connect with you! Snap a screenshot and tag me @heavenlytreasureliving on Instagram as you’re listening to this week’s episode. And remember to hashtag #thesaltpodcast, that way I can share your screenshot on my story too!
One more goodie! Want to connect with our community? Come join Women’s Essential Wellness FB group
Subscribe And Review The Podcast
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest episodes and strategies? Subscribe in iTunes and you’ll be the first to know when new episodes drop.
If you want to be featured on the show as a reviewer of the week, I’d be super blessed to hear from you. Click here to leave a review.
Get the Pink Premium Access!
In addition to the awesome podcast available to everyone, The Salt Podcast is offering exclusive content just for you!
- Guest-provided gifts
- Uncut hidden gems & Extra content
- Special E-mail notifications
- Ask Me Anything Episodes
- And more to come!
Blessings and excited to have you here!
4 thoughts on “09: Conscious Parenting Coaching with Barby”
Great topic and podcast!
Thanks so much for your support!
So helpful! Thank you for sharing!