Today’s episode on Exploring Unschooling:
Ten years ago, Mel chose the unconventional path of unschooling her three unique and spirited boys. After discovering that traditional schooling was not for her family, returned to her homeland in 2020. She is now living and playing in the stunning coastal North West region of Tasmania, Australia with her paramedic husband and sons Jake 16, Billy 14 and Malakai 9.
Mel Craven is a Personal Transformational author, Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga Instructor, Doula and Childbirth Educator who has a passion for creating more love, connection and community in the world. Incorporating Reiki, Aromatherapy, Sound Meditation and Yoga Nidra, Mel creates spaces of calm and bliss by encouraging everyone to return to their hearts and to trust their intuition.
Mel also became immersed in the joy and passion of parenting, while discovering a calling to birth work and supporting new mothers. After a foray into her own experience of birth trauma, post-natal depression, pregnancy loss and sleep deprivation. Residing as an expat in the Middle East for twelve years, Mel started a successful Empowered Gentle Birth Business Collaboration and had the sacred duty of welcoming many beautiful newborns earth side.
Unschooling Tips to listen for:
- What is unschooling?
- Why unschool/worldschool and how?
- Listen for our experiences and tips along our journey
Hidden gems for Pink Premium Only
- Closer look at Mel’s experience and tips
- Behind the scenes mothering and schooling
- Learning while traveling
More about Mel
Mel is an Australian Social Worker in Private Practice with a passion for supporting women and parents. Her consultations incorporate Embodied Yoga Principles, CBT and Narrative Therapy. Having a heart for adventure Mel has also been known to work for the Australian Army as a Medic and Truck Driver. She has been traveling abroad to volunteer with refugees experiencing torture and trauma in Greece, and to have supported Early Childhood Education and Community Development projects in Malawi and Kenya.
Currently co-managing Australian Blossom and Berry Baby Massage and Yoga, Mel facilitates international training courses, and transformational retreats around the world. Her students are working around the globe creating love and educating people about the importance of nurturing touch, relaxation and mindfulness. Mel is available for zoom or phone consultations for help with:
- start your own business as a Baby Massage or Baby Yoga Teacher
- arrange a private consultation to learn how to create more love and connection in your family relationships
- how to navigate unschooling
- just want to relax and let go of the stress and tension with yin yoga
Unschooling Links & Resources
- FB: Mel Craven Yoga
- The Power Within The Mission And The Magic: chapters on The Power Of Living You’re your Heart and The Power of Unconditional Love in
- Birthing With Heart: chapters on Prenatal Yoga, Loving Yourself Through Pregnancy Loss and The Nurturing Power of Touch
- A great resource for those interested in worldschooling or linking up with expat families
- A great resource for anybody contemplating wading into the unschooling waters and feeling a little dread. Or those already swimming along and wanting a few life rafts or logs to hold on to. Sandra Dodd is such a nurturing encouraging voice. I found her website so helpful in those early days and first years when I left traditional conventional schooling models. https://sandradodd.com/
Need More SALT In Your Life?
You know I love to connect with you! Snap a screenshot and tag me @heavenlytreasureliving on Instagram as you’re listening to this week’s episode. And remember to hashtag #thesaltpodcast, that way I can share your screenshot on my story too!
One more goodie! Want to connect with our community? Come join Women’s Essential Wellness FB group
Subscribe And Review The Podcast
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest episodes and strategies? Subscribe in iTunes and you’ll be the first to know when new episodes drop.
If you want to be featured on the show as a reviewer of the week, I’d be super blessed to hear from you. Click here to leave a review.
In addition to the awesome podcast available to everyone, The Salt Podcast is offering exclusive content just for you!
- Guest-provided gifts
- Uncut hidden gems & Extra content
- Special E-mail notifications
- Ask Me Anything Episodes
- And more to come!
Blessings and excited to have you here!