Who is your doula?
Nicole Varela is a DONA (Doulas of North America) doula in training. She is currently working on her certification and therefore offering her services to you at her student rate!
Locations we service?
Nicole is partnering with other Doulas and birth professionals in the Miami/ South Florida area. Please contact her to find out whether she services your area.
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula:
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
- A birth doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials CD(DONA).
Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.
Contact Nicole to get started on your birth journey with Doula support!
First Consultation is free!
We provide a no-obligation initial consultation. Giving birth is an intimate event and we encourage you to meet before deciding whether our services are right for you. We will come to your home for a complete prenatal consultation and give you the opportunity to discuss your birth plan and desires. You should also use this opportunity to decide if we are a good “fit” for one another. This meeting usually lasts about an hour and turns out to be a “mini” childbirth education class.
Following is a list of services provided in a Standard Birth Doula Package. Packages can be custom made, based on a family’s needs and desires. Fees vary based on services selected. Contact for more details and to customize your care!
- Two prenatal visits to discuss your pregnancy, your birth wishes, and any other specific concerns.
- 24-hour on-call service 2 weeks before your due date until you deliver (unless otherwise discussed).
- Questions before and during early labor answered by phone and e-mail.
- Early labor support at your home, if desired.
- Continuous support for you and your partner during active labor and delivery.
- Immediate postpartum support at the place of birth (about two hours).
- One postpartum visit at your home to review your birth experience and help with any feeding or parenting issues.
- Referrals for support or assistance with respect to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and newborn care