Pam England from her book Birthing from Within
One kind of learning comes from books. But the learning necessary for you to participate completely in your birth must come from you. In making birth art or journaling, just bringing an image to light can be surprisingly revealing (and sometimes healing). Listening to it speak to you can tell you even more.
Birth art doesn’t have to be pretty, colorful or carefully planned. It is as raw, honest, and spontaneous as birth itself.
What Mothers and Fathers Learn from Making Birth Art
Four things stand out from my work helping mothers explore their art.
- The first is that pregnant women unconsciously accept scientific and/or television images of birth. Few women acknowledge or even know what their own image of birth is. Yet it is their images, whether ignored or acknowledged, that will determine how they prepare for and experience pregnancy and birth.
- Second, while exploring their birth art, women often realize the value of spiritual and psychological support from other women during pregnancy and labor, and begin to seek or welcome that support.
- Third, during the quiet, reflective process of making birth art, mothers become more aware of their unborn baby. They report more maternal feelings and a greater sense of bonding.
- And finally, women express gratitude to be heard, acknowledged and given time to reflect on their inner process.
What is birth art?
“The landscape of birth is not linear, but twists and turns like the path of a labyrinth awakening great determination, doubt, faith and love. ” -Pam England-
Private or Group Sessions
Private Birth art sessions using Birthing from within™ processes offered as 1 hour classes. Cost: 220aed/session *
It is not about the art, not about the product, but about the process.
Birth art is process-focused, and not outcome focused, you may find yourself surprised at how revealing the experience might be for you personally as you prepare for birth.
Making birth art is a lot like giving birth – it can be messy, it can be joyful, it can push you to the edge of your comfort level and it can be very transformative.
(*Contact me for virtual classes if you are not in my area)
Latest posts by HeavenlyTreasure (see all)
- Lana Birth Photography Dubai - March 18, 2018
- Ashley Mitchell’s Perfect Rainbow Baby - March 16, 2018
- A Birth to Remember, 1 in 200 pregnancies happen to be a stillbirth - March 15, 2018